Okay so eggplant isn’t a go to food for me, even though it’s healthy. The texture usually turns me off as it gets mushy so fast when cooked! However, trying to learn new things and eat better I picked one up and on Tapas night, I cooked it up and it was amazing! Also pretty easy, but you do have to plan ahead for the first step!
Eggplant Slices with Cheese, Walnuts and a Honey drizzle
- 1 eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch slices, depending on how many slices you want the eggplant can be whatever size you like.
- Salt, plus more to taste
- Olive Oil for frying, plus extra for drizzling. I didn’t use much and my pan was more on they dry warm side then sizzling with olive oil.
- Pepper. as desired to your taste
- Cheese, crumbled goat cheese or thin sliced fresh mozzarella are amazing
- Chopped walnuts, I used about 1/4 cup on my large eggplant but you can very this with your own size and tastes
- Honey, mine was local because yes, but use whatever is in the cupboard!
Step 1) Place the eggplant slices in a strainer and toss with enough salt to cover lightly. Let drain for 1 hour. After 1 hour pat dry with paper towels. You can rinse them off first if you desire.
Step 2) Start preheating your oven to 400 degrees with rack in the middle about 20 minutes before you are ready to put them in. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or mat; easy clean up and easy serving!
Step 3) In a frying pan large enough to hold several slices without overlapping, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the eggplant slices until soft and golden, between 2-3 minutes per side. Work in batches so as to not overlap the pieces.
Step 4) Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the baking sheet. Season with pepper and salt, to taste. Top eggplant slices with cheese and chopped walnuts. Drizzle a little olive oil over everything if desired.
Step 5) Bake the eggplant slices until golden, about 12-13 minutes.
Step 6) Transfer to plates or serving dish and drizzle a little honey over and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from PardoyourFrench.com