As an adult do you ever get tired of the sweet pancakes that fill the world? I know I do! Partly because I have a young child who is still in love with chocolate pancakes or pancakes with lots of syrup on them. While I don’t mind a good chocolate pancake once in a while, I get over the sweet pancakes real fast!
On a mission to find a not-sweet pancake that lends itself to a healthier breakfast, is filling, and tastes good, I found Mancakes! I can only guess they are called Mancakes out of some sexist rationale that women don’t like savory things, but I’m speculating. I love these because they are filling and great tasting without any sugar. That’s right, these are sugar-free!
When I made these I offered them to a warehouse old-school opinionated associate that gave them good reviews. Even he didn’t notice from the taste that they were sugar-free and said he enjoyed the texture that the crumbled sausage and seeds added to the pancakes. These Savory Chia Flaxseed Mancakes are definitely a win for those looking for pancakes that aren’t sugary sweet tasting or need syrup on them. They are also thick enough that you could almost eat them like an English muffin, aka hand food for on-the-go! Enjoy!
Savory Chia Flaxseed Mancakes
- Medium Skillet
- Measuring Cup and Spoons
- 1 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper More or less depending on taste
- 2 oz Sausage Plant or Animal is fine
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 oz Blue Cheese Crumbled
- Brown sausage in a skillet and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and sausage.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, chia seeds, and flaxseeds until blended.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, and stir until evenly mixed.
- Oil skillet and heat over medium heat until hot. For each pancake, ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle and cook until the bottoms are golden brown. Flip and cook until pancakes are cooked through; 3-4 minutes per side.
- Top with blue cheese and serve warm